With Aotearoa, New Zealand stories, the history of this place is steeped in complexities and colonisation, shared history with tangata whenua (the indigenous people of the land) and those who came after. We acknowledge Ngāti Kahungunu ki te Wairarapa and Rangitāne o Wairarapa, and are committed to learn more about tangata whenua connections to this land.
Fareham House was built in 1896 by William and Lucy Barton. The NZ Government bought the property in 1945 and opened a Child Welfare home for Māori girls. In the 1960s, the home expanded to provide supported accommodation for troubled girls from all backgrounds. Wycliffe Bible Translators moved to Fareham House in 1982. The house was sold again, in 1997. The new owners lived and worked on the property, and ran a small bed and breakfast.
In 2016, the Fareham co-operative bought the property to achieve sustainable living, giving opportunity for creative works, providing housing needs for neurodiverse and accommodation for large groups and workshops.
On behalf of those who have come before, and for those who will come after us, we commit to building an inclusive place of compassion and solidarity.